Monday, November 26, 2007

Turkeys on Vacation


Thanksgiving, a time for turkey, stuffing, potatoes, family, friends, and of course travel. Thanksgiving took me back to the home town for a week. It had been a year since I'd taken Route 17/I-86 back and there were a couple new things on the way. For one, upon passing through Elmira, traffic no longer stops at traffic lights, a welcome change. Also on the other side of Elmira, at the airport, the building that I suspected to be Sikorsky's new facility, was in fact, that. The building was finished, with a big 'Winged S' on the side.

Traveling slightly North and towards the great lakes also meant something else that I had yet to see this season, snow. There wasn't a significant amount falling, though heavy enough to make you feel as if you were staring at that flying through the stars screen saver while driving. I woke Sunday morning to find everything covered in a light layer of snow. By the end of the day though, everything had melted, and by Wednesday it was 60°. But it was down to 30° by Thanksgiving night. The cold temperatures made for a heck of a ride on Friday.

Monday and Tuesday found me at PAHS observing classes to fulfill requirements for my degree. Thursday was Thanksgiving, so my time was filled up rather easily for the week, throw on top of that some visiting with family and friends and some bike rides and I'm booked. One thing is for sure, I certainly appreciate the slower nature of the town a lot more now, and the extreme ease with which I moved around town via bicycle. No need for a car, in fact, a majority of my trips involved no other cars on the road, just me and the bike. Some think I'm nuts though.

No comments: