Thursday, November 15, 2007

Karma

I'm a person that believes in the idea that Karma works it's way around, and it certainly worked it's way back to me last night.

I have this tendency to laugh when my friends do things that may in fact injure them. It really shouldn't be a laughing matter, but I really can't hold it back. Now if I see that they really are hurt, the laughter stops and I get serious, but still I know I shouldn't laugh to begin with. Taylor and I were out riding some time ago on the cross bikes and we came up to this little pile of dirt. Now Taylor had rolled over it before, but not at the speed we were approaching it at. This mound of dirt didn't have a ramp to it per say, it was just kind of there. Well, he decided jump it. It didn't happen. His front wheel kind of dug in and sent him into a dive. His arms tucked under his body as he skidded across the ground. I was just behind him and saw the whole thing, and of course rolled up to him giggling like an idiot. "Are you okay?" I asked. He was fine, just a bruised ego. So then I just let loose, I couldn't contain the laughter anymore, and since he was uninjured I couldn't help myself. I continued to have little episodes for the rest of the ride.

I was out practicing dismounts on the cross bike last night. In fact I was dismounting at fairly high speeds (15+mph). I was swinging my right leg over and then between my left leg and frame putting myself into running position. Keep in mind, my left foot is clipped into the pedal until the very last instant that I jump from the bike. The dismounts were going well, I was getting off at higher and higher speeds. Then it happened, Karma came around. I had fully committed into a dismount, but I knew instantaneously I was going to hit the ground, my left foot didn't unclip. I hit the pavement skidding on my left side. As I hit, the pedal disengaged and the bike took a few hard bounces. I little road rash, a bruised ego, and a lesson about laughing when friends crash.

Karma, you'll get yours.

2 comments:

Jason said...

kinda like when i was riding through kevin's back yard ... over that leaf pile .... where i found that stack of 2x4's.

fun.

scycle said...

Oh yeah... I recall laughing pretty good then too. That was pretty funny as I recall. Who leaves 2x4s in a leaf pile anyway?