Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend Get Away

Memorial day weekend became a 4 day weekend for me with the company furlough on Friday. Not a problem with me, I'd already planned to travel for the weekend and the extra day was great to have. I made the drive, through throngs of bugs, back to the home town. The front of my car, and the bike on top, were absolutely plastered with bugs. Pleasant to clean, let me say, especially off the bar tape and brake hoods.

As much fun as densely populated areas can be with all they offer to do, I always seem to feel so much better in the rural areas of Northern Pennsylvania. The rest is better, the rides are better, the air is better, a lot of things are better. I'll stop short of saying everything, because there are some great things about Southern Connecticut as well. I always enjoy getting quality rides in though.

This particular trip didn't see as much riding as a normal trip to the area. I spent a good bit relaxing, as well as visiting various extensions of the family. The biggest ride was nearly 58 miles, in the warmest weather I've ridden to date this year. I struggled a bit in it, and downed the 2 bottles I'd brought along, by the time I'd reached the halfway point. Luckily, as I'd hoped, there was a water fountain in Kinzua Bridge State Park. The biggest hills climbs of the ride came in the last 9 miles of the ride, I struggled with them to say the least.

The best ride of the weekend may have been the morning of Memorial day. I'd planned to start my trip back to Connecticut early, but thankfully came to my senses. Why head back early to get a ride in there, when I could ride the perfectly wonderful roads of McKean County? My dad and I put in a great 25 mile ride. The roads were quiet and nearly void of traffic, the winds were light when they were in our face, and we hit the fastest downhill I've been on. I only managed 51.6 miles per hour, a little shy of my personal speed record, which had been achieved on the same hill a few years ago.

Unfortunately such enjoyable times of relaxing and riding had to come to an end.

No comments: