Sunday, May 10, 2009

Insta-bonk

After suffering a grade 1 A.C. separation and being off the bike for 3 weeks and 2 days, I made a triumphant return to the road bike on Saturday. Surprisingly enough I felt pretty good and was even able to push my pace to some decent speeds at times. It was really great to be back on the bike, and in such good weather too.

My legs hurt a bit after I finished the ride, but I wasn't all that shocked. I'd put in a pretty good ride after such a long time off. Sunday, I figured I'd get another good ride in, though my plan was to take it fairly easy. I did keep myself from going overly hard, though the head wind certainly gave me its best.

Then after about 17 miles, the legs got real tired. Luckily I was already on the return portion of my loop. Not far after the legs got tired I was really starting to struggle and the wind was wreaking havoc with me. Then I began too realized just how hungry I was. It hit me, I'd just bonked. Quite possibly the quickest bonk that had even struck me. Thinking about what I'd eaten early in the day I quickly came to the conclusion that it was no where near enough to be out exercising for very long. It was really probably just enough to exist with basic functionality.

Lesson learned: eat more, ride well, get stronger.

No comments: