Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Wheels!!

I'd been longing for a nice set of race wheels for the mountain bike for some time. I'd been looking at parts online, comparing price versus weight versus performance, and trying to find that optimal blend of the three. I'd looked at some of the high end wheel sets that were available, but decided I could spec out each piece on my own and build something close enough without spending as much money. So I ended up with Mavic XC 717 Disc rims, Wheelsmith XL14 spokes, Wheelsmith alloy nipples, a Cannondale Lefty hub for the front, and a Chris King hub for the rear. I mounted a Shimano XT cassette, the rotors that came with my Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes, and some random light wieght tire I found in my dad's garage for the rear. A Kenda Karma stick-E on the front. I'm rather pleased, the best wheels I've built yet too. I should clarify, the best I've built a set of wheels yet, they've held true through the first round of beating.

On a side note, a cyclist I met a few years ago, pointed me in the direction of a blog some friends of his had started. Joe's friends are riding across the country, in a speedy sort of way. Since I have a life goal to accomplish just such a task, though likely a bit slower to stop and see things, I've been following along. You might enjoy their journey as well. Follow along here.

No comments: