Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Year in Review: 'Cross off 2007

… and ring in 2008.

So here it is, a month and a half into 2008 and I’m finally finishing my cycling year in review. After a stellar performance at the 24 hours of Great Glen, I felt as if the final big weight was lifted off my shoulders. There were no particular events to stay trained for and after this culminating event of the summer I was feeling a little burned out. For the next 3 weeks I didn’t achieve more than 40 miles per week. I certainly lost some fitness, but in reality, I couldn’t stay at the level I was at for any longer, I needed to come down sometime.

There were still a few Root 66 races left and I was in the points lead for my consistent attendance and good finishes. I traveled back to Mt. Snow in September to put in a mentally redeeming ride on what was essentially the same course and the national championship course. I handily won the race in a field of 4, dropping nearly 30 minutes off my time from July. The series finally was at Winding Trails in Farmington where I put in a strong ride despite a somewhat noticeable lack of fitness. I time trialed the last lap when some people at the start/finish told me I was about 2 minutes down and I almost caught 2nd in the last 200 yards except I missed the opportunity for a surprise jump on him when the noise of another cyclist approaching caught his attention. I took 3rd and the series championship.

This led into cyclocross season. October 13 &14 marked my season opener as Taylor and I traveled to Gloucester, Massachusetts. Baptism by fire, with fields 100+ deep each day, and starting near the rear I learned a lot about ‘cross. Starts are very important, sand pits and other technical sections are my strengths, long straights and sections of power are my weaknesses. I tried to adjust accordingly on Sunday’s race, with a slight change in results. I also witnessed an extremely dramatic race as Tim Johnson rolled tire early in the Saturday Elite men’s race, only to fight his way back to a top ten finish. I became hooked on ‘cross after that weekend.

The following weekend was another double header with one heck of a race at Mansfield Hollow and exciting one at Southington. I was forced off my bike 7 times per lap at Mansfield and at Southington I was following Taylor in the last lap when he slid out in a hair pin bend. He fought back valiantly, but couldn’t quite make up the time lost.

At Dayville, we encountered a race in the rain. Initially I had a front row starting spot, but then the line was move up about 10 yards and some guy cut from the outside to in front of me on the inside. So I was forced to contend with him in front of me, then I got dirt in my eyes and couldn’t see very well for about 200 yards, totally throwing my start. I made up some time through some single track sections, but as I started the 2nd lap in time trail catch mode, I made some stupid mistakes, like turning far too early for a turn and wrapping myself up in the tape.

Cheshire was also a great course for a mountain biker. I found this to be one of the most exhausting races with a lengthy run up that pushed me into the red zone further and further each lap. Easthampton, Mass. was a bitter cold race, I couldn’t feel my feet by the end, but I surged during the last lap to regain 3 or 4 positions by the finish.

The year ended with a cold, wet, some what icy, and snow dusted course at Warwick, RI. After getting caught up at the back of the pack during the start I made a strong effort during the first lap and a half to make up a lot of ground but faded towards the end of the race. It was a satisfying finish to the season, sort of. Natz Schamtz at Dayville, became a go, but after a snow storm dumped 10 inches on the course the race was postponed to early January, 2008. This became the season closer, and a fun one at that. Lee jumped on my hard tail to try out this ‘cross thing, Chris came along for the fun and support, and Taylor and I were looking to have some fun in the snow covered course. A 3rd place finish was fitting for a long but fantastic season.

No comments: