Thursday, February 21, 2008

I left my heart in San Francisco

Alleycat races were born in Toronto in 1989 and quickly spread through the bike messenger culture during the 1990’s. The informal races generally involve a list of several checkpoints throughout an urban area and a designated finish. The form of these checkpoints can vary from race to race. Sometimes each checkpoint is directly pointed out, other times they are listed as a set of hints, and other times checkpoints aren’t revealed until a previous checkpoint is reached. Usually the checkpoints are listed on a manifest which is handed out 5 to 30 minutes prior to the race start. Someone working the check point will sign off or stamp the manifest to prove the checkpoint was reached. Sometimes there is more required at each checkpoint, such as writing down the words carved in a phone booth, or drinking an entire beer in order to get the manifest signed. The first rider to reach the finish after successfully visiting all check points and completing all tasks wins the race. Recall, they are informal races, streets remain open to all normal traffic, so riders must factor in the urban congestion.

Saturday, I took part in my first alleycat [as a rider], in San Francisco. It was the ‘I left my heart in San Francisco’ Alleycat. I was joining Jason and Ava in the pursuit of victory, or at least a good time chaotically riding around the city. I’m pretty sure that I traveled through about half the city, but I really have no idea as I spent my time trying to stay hot on their tails and keeping my wits about me to stay away from car doors and moving vehicles. A majority of checkpoints had a heart or Valentine’s theme; go to the heart in Union Square (pictured), get a souvenir penny from a machine with I left my heart in San Francisco imprinted on it, read a poetic quote, etcetera. Quite enjoyable, especially since I was in shorts and a t-shirt by race end and looking at a bright blue sky.

No comments: