Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cross Training

Finally, I've gotten around to getting in some cross training, as in training by doing things other than ride the bike, not cyclocross training. I went to the pool tonight for a swim. It felt good to move through the water, it's been quite some time since I've been swimming. I could tell that I was a bit out of shape and under strength in my upper body, it didn't take long for my arms to get tired. I didn't want to over do it, so I only swam for about 30 minutes doing a relatively easy 1100 yards. I figure this should do a number of things for me. 1. Swimming is a great way to stay in shape, 2. it should help me elevate my riding another notch this year 3. it'll keep my mind off cycling for a while so that I don't burn out mentally to early in the season. We'll see how it goes, hopefully I can keep to a schedule of swimming a few nights per week, more so than I ever did last year.

The other thing I've been doing that should help considerably, is stretching. I was never in a very good habit of stretching, but over the last month I've been working it into my daily routine.

The final installment of my year in review will be coming very soon, stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jason said...

i can never get myself to stretch, so i started going to a yoga class.... i find that i get better stretching here than i could ever do on my own and there is proper guidance as well.