Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sights of the San Francisco area

Last Friday I traveled to San Francisco for the first time. So much to do in so little time. I arrived at the San Jose airport about 11:30pm and met Jason and Ava as I came out of the terminal. Saturday morning Jason and I jumped on some bicycles and caught a few glimpses of the city. We saw the trolley cars turn around and met Cory and Ava at Blue Bottle CafĂ©. I had a sip of the coffee, but I’m not much of a coffee drinker so I can’t tell you if there was anything special about it. I saw some things during the alleycat but not much since we were riding through significant traffic. Sunday I got to see a lot along the bay as we rode to Palo Alto to watch the Prologue of the Tour of California. A beautiful town from what I saw. We caught the train back to San Francisco, a little easier than riding. Monday I really took in some good views of the city. We borrowed a tandem, so while Jason steered I took the time to look around. We headed across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito to view the start of stage 1 of the Tour. Sausalito is also a beautiful town. On our ride back towards San Francisco we rode up the headlands and stopped at two vantage points that were former military batteries. Both provided great views of San Francisco, the bay area, Alcatraz, and the Pacific. We continued back down the coastal hills, across the Golden Gate Bridge, back into San Francisco, and headed towards the beach and the Pacific Ocean. Unfortunately I had a flight to catch that night, so I didn’t get to spend more time taking in the city. Next time I’ll plan to spend more time there. The pictures I took are within this gallery.

(The photos are also in the slide show on the right)

No comments: