Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Ice Road Bikers

Christmas Eve I took a ride to the top of the Bemis Hollow road. Upon riding into the gated road I found it to be packed down from some type of tracked vehicle. Thus the packed snow had become ice. I caught one rut and hit the ground, even with studded tires on the bike. I made my way up the road and after a relatively easy climbing grade I came to a very short downslope. Riding downhill on the ice proved to be the difficult part, going up, was somewhat easy. Well then I made my way past the turn at the pipeline and continued, all the while thinking I really shouldn't ride too far up the steep grade. But, I kept going, and going, and then I was at the top of the hill. It took me 40 minutes and change to get to the top from town. After taking a few pictures I began to slowly work my way down the hill. Just over 26 minutes later I was at the bottom of the dirt road. It took me nearly as long to ride down the dirt as it had to ride up. But riding on ice with most of your weight on the front wheel is kind of tricky, no sudden moves.

The pictures I took can be found here.

You can check to location of them with this google map satellite image.

No comments: