Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mansfield Hollow 'Cross Race

One of the best races of the season, that's what I call Mansfield Hollow. The course is a great course, one needs to be good at all facets of 'cross to excel here. It's truly a fun course to ride. Unfortunately, restraining my left quad earlier in the week, then riding single speed in the woods another day left me with little spark on the day. Usually I can accelerate well out of the barriers or runs ups or steep banks, but I had no such accelerations. I was even struggling to get the bike up some banks that shouldn't have given me too much trouble.

I could tell off the start that there was little available for any bursts so I decided to find my pace immediately and hold it. After pulling an initial lead on Jake he slowly worked his way up to me. Finally he passed and opened a lead. With two laps to go I almost lost another position but fought back and continued my surge to nearly catch back onto Jake. But the effort cost me and while he was going at it a little easier for a little bit, he had a better kick for the final lap. I had however dropped the other guy that had passed me briefly. I finished 1 spot behind Jake, Taylor came in a few spots later.

After our finish, we headed for some free hot cider and other goodies. We also took the chance to heckle some other the other races taking place.

Photos from the day, click here.

Videos to come soon.

No comments: