Monday, October 13, 2008

GP of Gloucester, 2008

A brief review of the weekend’s races in Gloucester, MA. Oh yeah, it’s pronounced Glastah. Throw in some heavy Massachusetts-New England accent and it sounds really great. Saturday morning the races started at 9 am with Taylor and Jake partaking in the category 4 race. A recent acquaintance, John, from the Wednesday night training series we’d been riding was also there, but I didn’t notice him right away. As soon as the race got going I was already wishing I was in their field, frankly because I figured I could roll out a top 30 placing of over 100 guys pre-registered. However, I gladly took on my role as 5% pit guy, 5% strategy coordinator, and 90% heckler/cheerer. Jake apparently punched some holes through the pack in the first half lap. Taylor witnessed this and claimed there was no hole to pass with but somehow Jake made up a lot of places from the back of the pack. Both of them fell into place, Taylor in quite a battle with a half dozen guys through out the race, Jake slowly but surely moving through the field. I counted position and shouted it out, then shouted some other words, and ran around the course to yell at them multiple times per lap. Oh, and I rang a lot of cow bell at them. Jake finished 14th of 98 and Taylor 41st.

After a morning of conjuring myself around I raced at 1pm. I was already feeling a bit intimidated. I was racing in the Cat 2/3 field which was bound to be fast. Then the announcers were saying Cat 1/2/3. “WHAT!? I’m racing Cat 1’s as well, oh geeze.” (As it turns out, I don’t think there really were any Cat 1’s.) So now I’m really feeling like a small fish amongst sharks and wondering if I should have just stayed Cat 4 for a little longer. Then the top 20 starting spot I thought I’d get, drifted into an 8th row starting spot after numerous call ups for guys with certain standing. To top it all off, barely riding your bike for 2 weeks doesn’t leave one with much for legs. So the race started, and let me tell you, this was the most aggressive field I’d ever been in. It was a fight, tooth and nail for every little inch in the field. In the first half lap I narrowly avoided becoming part of three different giant pileups. One pile up actually formulated, but I managed to stay upright and moving. From there, it was pure lemons. My legs didn’t have much and I slowly drift back in the pack. Once I took a corner too hot, and without warning my rear wheel slipped out from under me and I hit the deck. Later, as I entered the corner just before the barriers my left foot failed to unclip from my pedal and I hit the deck again. The 2nd encounter with the ground was slightly more embarrassing since there were many more spectators hanging around the barriers. I rolled across the finish in 65th of 98. Far from stellar, but acceptable, considering this is Gloucester, a.k.a New England World’s. Yes it has the nickname of New England World Championships, the competition is that hot.

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching the elite fields race.

Day two started well enough, I was feeling better and more mentally stable. Jake did not stay to race, so I found myself shouting at Taylor and our friend John. John finished rather well, 22nd of 102. Taylor’s legs faded on him a bit from day 1 and he came in 51st after some further battles during the race. The best part was the addition of a large, steep run-up that had not been part of the course the first day, a prime spot for yelling at people during their height of suffering. After the race I found John to congratulate him, and he thanked me for all the shouting noting how much it helped and motivated him.

On to my race a 1pm; I tried to be a bit more aggressive during the start. I was, to some extent, but the whole field was fast and aggressive. I also had to avoid yet another crash, two guys were on the ground, dazed and confused. The run up was chaos, but I seemed to be a little faster running than those around me so I shoved my way through a few guys. This run up would be a good place for me all race, I tended to be faster through it than those near me. This race I stayed upright and my legs felt a little better. I managed 54th of 90. Thus ended another weekend of cyclocross excitement.

I've posted a lot of selected pictures.

Just before posting I had a little pick me up from Jake. He called and told me to check out the finishing times. Despite my mid-grade finish in Cat 2/3, I would have been top 10 in Cat 4. Thanks Jake.

No comments: