Thursday, October 23, 2008

Just a little tid bit

I don't know that I ever mentioned how the finish actually went down on day 1 of Gloucester in my original recap. Well, I could feel something going on that was kind of strange coming from my crank in the last lap. With a quarter mile to go I realized the left crank arm was coming loose, meanwhile I had to fend off one guy surging towards while doing my best with a seated sprint. I didn't dare stand for fear that the extra torque would pop the crank off right when I had my weight on it sending me to the tramac in an unforgiving way.

The crank popped off while cooling down in the parking lot.

I have problems with cranks at that race. Last year I realized it was loose just minutes before the start, with just enough time to get it fixed. Later in that race I was battling a guy on the last lap whose left crank arm came off mid lap.

On to another tidbit. One of the heads of state over at crossresults.com slapped a little camera under his seat and took some video of what was going on behind him. He has 4 videos, each of a separate lap, 1 through 4. By the way, this was taken during the same race I competed in though I never see myself in here, probably because he has a far better starting position and rides the whole race faster than me.


Gloucester Cyclocross Seat Cam from colin reuter on Vimeo.

See the other laps.
Lap 2
Lap 3
Lap 4

2 comments:

Jason said...

sounds like you need some loctite!

Feltmate! said...

Dude, I havent touched my cross bike in over a week. I am on my mountain bike everyday now!