Monday, September 8, 2008

Not Laboring on Labor Day

The extended weekend for Labor day took me to Florida for a few days. It had been far too long since I'd seen my brother and his family as well as my aunt, uncle and cousins. Okay, confessions of a bad sibling, I hadn't been to their town to visit in 6 years. I've since made a pact with myself to return every year. I was supposed to Kayak out to the ocean with my aunt, but the weather and timing didn't work for us, otherwise I think that would have been a lot of fun.

While fishing that Saturday evening a far reaching band from Hurrican Gustav came through. We had made it back to the car and packed most everything up before it hit us. I avoided looking like I'd jumped in the river but still got a bit wet. I was a bit entertained, though I don't think the others were as it served a reminder of what may be looming in the near future. Except for that little bit I managed to dodge any tropical storms or hurricanes, bonus points on that one.

In the limited travel I have done by air I've made a few observations about the different airlines. I've come to feel that Delta is the best, or at least I've had the best flights with them. They held a flight for myself and a couple others when our first flight was delayed once, they still give out free crackers, the first checked bag is still free, and I think they have just a little bit more knee room. (as of 9/8/2008)

Returning to the bike after 4 days off was painful, especially when the first ride was a pseudo road race. Chewed up and spit off the back after struggling to hang on for the first half. I was left with nothing for the cyclocross training series the next night. Bricks i tell ya, bricks. Only on Sunday, 5 days later did my legs even think about coming back while on a leg numbing hill ride.

No comments: