Thursday, July 30, 2009

Team Night Ride

With just over a week to go, We have finally put in a night time ride though we did have to wait a little longer than expected for the sun to go down. The team, minus Jake, was all there. The last time I rode in the dark with lights was around the winter to spring transition. In past years, we've been out after dark a few times throughout July. We just didn't get to it this year.

Riding in the dark is always fun, when it's by choice that is. There is something soothing about it to me. Perhaps it's that most of the living world has calmed down and there is a certain quiet serenity floating about. Perhaps it's the idea that my world only exists as the conical beam of light in front of me.

Riding at night presents a special set of challenges. The trails do not always appear the same as they would in daylight. Some small things appear bigger than they are, and some of the big things appear smaller. I have found that a light mounted on the helmet and one mounted on the handlebars works best. The handlebar light can be aimed higher to see things further ahead, while the helmet light allows you to see where you are actually looking which works well in
tight twisty trails.

All in all, a good night and a good ride.

I might also mention that I am hoping to be able to make updates to this blog on a regular basis throughout the 24 hour race.
That's right, real time race reports! I'll throw out some more details in the near future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Updates will be great!