Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Getting Wet

Somehow, despite the fact that it seems to rain or threaten rain every day now, I managed to pull off a second big week in a row. I was nearing the point of over doing it. After a few days rest I was back out today, even though there was rain in the area.

Sometimes being wet, or damp, is just plain annoying. Like a sock that is wet from a shoe that failed to provide protection from the rain soaked ground. To me, there is little more annoying than a wet sock. But for some odd reason, a ride in a light rain is slightly refreshing once in a while.

It may have something to do with the fact that spring rains are associated with the rebirth of life after harsh winters. Or it could be that the forestation along the road looks so much greener and more lush after a rain. It could be even more than that. Whatever it is, it felt good to get a little wet on the ride today. I started out with a light misty-type rain falling on me, and after a mostly dry ride, finished the last few miles in a similar rain. Instead of the usual grumpiness associated with wet clothes, I was rather cheerful.

It certainly was not my first foray into a rainy ride. There have been other occasions, some more enjoyable than others. I recall donning what I had for 'water resistant' clothing once in my early teenage years, simply to go ride and play on my bike in the rain. Sometimes, it is just fun to get wet.

So today's ride passed, as many rides do, without a particularly notable moment to record other than I got damp and enjoyed it.

No comments: