Thursday, August 7, 2008

A weekend Off

The weekend following National Championships brought some more mountain bike action, this time in the form of non-competitive riding. I ventured to Hancock, MA Friday afternoon. I set up camp in the field near the Jake and the Rad Racing guys. That evening I caught a screening of Klunkerz, a pretty good documentary on the beginnings of mountain biking. Saturday morning we headed out for the 'epic' ride, prepared to go long. The ride wasn't really epic, but we did hit a few spectacularly awesome trails. After our patience wore a little thin with the constant stops to regroup as only one of 5 or 6 ride guides actually knew where we were going, we skipped out a little early and headed back to camp. After sitting out the hot afternoon sun and a dinner time rain storm I was getting ready to ride more. I checked out a few vendors and signed myself and Taylor up for the night time scavenger hunt. The scavenger hunt was entertaining, riding unfamiliar trails, at night, in the mud. It was a short ride though. That night brought a pretty serious storm. Fearing the capabilities of an untested tent with respect to rain, and the nearby lightning I jumped in the car for a bit and caught some shut eye. Some time later, I check the tent, dry as a desert inside. I decided to spend the remainder of the night there, feeling apologetic that I could have doubted my little tent. Sunday morning brought a plethora of mud. No riding to be had in that nonsense. After a few purchases at some vendor tents I pack up and headed out. Though only after waiting for the ambulance to get pulled through the mud and out of my way. Had I not been a guest on someone's property and surrounded by lots of people, my car may have found itself spinning circles and driving down the highway covered with mud. I grabbed a few pictures, a few from the top of Jiminey Peak looking down on the festival and quite a few of the mud bog drag racing. Check them out here.

The weekend after Kendafest, aka this past weekend was simply a weekend free of travel or events. It was a weekend much needed with good quality riding and resting.

Off to the 24 hours of Great Glen this weekend, at the base of the famed Mt. Washington.

After the ultimate mountain bike race of the season, it's time for, you guessed it... Cyclocross season!

No comments: