Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring is on the Radar screen

I realized that it's been nearly a month since I'd written anything and figured that it was about time to provide an update. I've found myself rather busy lately completing some of the major and final requirements for my degree. I've now only got a couple minor things to complete over the next 3 months. It will be nice to finish it all up.

Cycling season is coming into it's own now that there is plenty of daylight in the afternoon. Unfortunately I've not had a chance to take advantage of it. I've been getting a few hours in on the weekends though. Hopefully I'll be prepared for the upcoming mountain bike time trial in Rhode Island. I view it as more of a kick in the pants to start getting the real training under way.

This season consists of mostly the same goals as last year, with some very minor changes. Once again, at the top of the list are the USA Cycling Mountain Bike national championships in July at Mt. Snow in Vermont and the 24 Hours of Great Glen at Pinkham Notch, New Hampshire. Unfortunately, climbing the Mount Washington Auto Road won't be a part of the schedule this year. Some secondary goals are the 12 hours of Pat's Peak (solo), and to bump up to expert for XC races. We still need to determine our fourth teammate for the 24 hour race, but either way, we'll figure something out. Cyclocross season will have a heavier emphasis in the fall and early winter, with hopes of bumping up a category in that as well. For now the XC races will remain the focus since 'cross season is a long way off.

I have gotten some quality training in on the weekends, so not all will be lost during Sunday's time trial. Chris and I went out to Hammonasset State Park Saturday in the heavy winds. We managed over 68 miles fighting some strong winds at points. My legs felt cooked for the final 20 miles of the ride, and subsequently felt like bricks with no power during the next days attempt at mountain biking.

Since racing season is about to begin, the posts will come more frequently as the race reports get flowing. Catch you then.

No comments: