Thursday, April 10, 2008

I am NOT the King

I am not the king of Burlingame, but it doesn't matter, because it was a really fun ride. That's what I really went to the Charlestown, RI area for, fun. I wanted to get some early season tune up racing in and what better way than with a time trial through the woods? I rode over with Jake from North Haven Bike, making the trip quite pleasant. We got a look at the first mile of the course while warming up, and were glad we did because it was a bit more technical than we had expected. One spot in particular was good to see; I was able to see the good line down a section of rocks and practiced it once. In the race I cleaned it with minimal braking, while the first guy I happened to catch I heard use a lot of brake just ahead of me (think rim brakes covered with mud and water). The course did open up in some places requiring some pure hammering on the pedals, I found at these points my legs were still a bit tired and sore from running a few days earlier and riding 44 miles the day before. I felt really good through the technical stuff though. I almost ate it real good twice on some rocky sections but I didn't get deterred. Some recently learned cyclocross skills even got put to use at the two mandatory dismounts. It almost felt a bit like 'cross season too, it was a rather cool morning. I opted for half finger gloves, maybe a poor choice; I couldn't feel my fingers for the first half of the race.

All in all, I'm happy with the performance and it served as a good training ride, and that's what I went to accomplish. My results weren't stellar, but I wasn't after any particular results, else I would have avoided such a long ride the day before. If you care to look the results are posted here. I'm 16th (of 24) in the Sport 19-39 category, 49th overall (91 racers). I've been notified that pictures are coming soon so I'll likely post a link once I get one.

No comments: